Flood 2019

If you have been affected by the recent flooding, this page has some helpful links and contacts.

Steeping River Catchment Steering Group - Newsletter

Icon for pdf Steeping River Community Update - Issue 1, August 2019 [800.54KB]

This monthly newsletter provides an update on the work of the Steeping River Catchment Steering Group and other activities that help manage flood risk in the catchment.

We know that many residents in and around Wainfleet have been affected as a result of the floods and may not be able to return to live in their homes for some time. Others are preparing to return home but will have a number of matters to deal with to resettle into their homes. Of those affected by the floods, some households may want to access additional support and we know that for all of those affected; keeping you up to date with information relevant to your situation is important.

Lauren, our Flood Recovery Link Worker, is a key member of our Flood Recovery Coordination Team. Lauren provides a direct link between services / support / partner organisations and residents affected, including those who are currently unable to return to their homes as a result of the flood.

Lauren is a designated point of contact to ensure that residents affected by the flooding:

  • Are supported and have access to support and services they need including council services, support services and wider health and wellbeing services
  • Have access to up to date information
  • Able to access advocacy and advice as needed
  • Are able to access advice and information on sources of funding, help and support

Lauren can be contacted on 01507 601111 or by email at flood.recovery@e-lindsey.gov.uk

This role does not replace or duplicate existing provision. Instead, it complements it through a joined up, multi-disciplinary approach to ensure there is sufficient capacity and support for those affected by the flooding to access the support, information and services they need to enable recovery from the flooding.

Michelle Howard, our Assistant Director of People, gives an update on Council Tax, advice for tenants and the support available.

Housing support

If your property has been flooded, and you are able to, please arrange to stay with family and friends and/or contact your insurance company if you are in need temporary accommodation.

If you are in private rented accommodation, we suggest you make contact with your landlord as their insurers may be able to provide temporary accommodation.

If none of these options are available to you, please contact our Housing Team on 01507 601111.

Housing and Homelessness Advice

What to do after a flood?

The Environment Agency and Public Health England have some useful information about what to do after a flood, including advice on how to clean up your home safely: What to do after a flood

We have also produced a flyer with some helpful advice and support for residents returning to their homes following the flooding, it will be available from Coronation Hall, distributed directly to those whose houses have flooded and can be downloaded Icon for pdf here [45.9KB].

Improvements to Environment Agency's flood warning service

Icon for pdf Two initial improvements have been made to the flood warning service, now the breach has been repaired. [1.67MB]

One is a new dedicated Flood Warning Area for the wider Croft area. The second relates to the Flood Warning Area, this now covers all of Wainfleet, but doesn't necessarily mean your home is at risk of flooding.

Support and advice for businesses

We have put together some details of support and advice that you might find useful following the recent flooding, this information can be accessed here.

Contact numbers

Our Call Centre is available between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday on 01507 601111.

Outside of these times calls will be diverted to our Out of Hours service.

Flood damaged items & waste collection

If you have been flooded, and have bulky items that you need removing, please ring 01507 601111, with details of those items you need us to collect.

Scrap Metal Collection

If scrap metal is being collected from you, the person collecting it is required to hold a Collector's Licence issued by us and a Waste Carrier's Licence that is issued by the Environment Agency.

You can check the Public Register of Scrap Metal Dealers here.

Any person who carries out business as a Scrap Metal Dealer without a licence may be liable on conviction to a maximum fine of £5,000.

Sandbag Disposal

If you still have sandbags that require collecting, please get in touch with us on 01507 601111 to arrange collection and we will dispose of them. We will continue to collect sandbags from the highway until August 31.

Alternatively, you can drop them off at Wainfleet Fire Station, empty them onto your gardens or keep them if you have storage room.

Donations and funding

Wainfleet (and area) Flood Appeal

Thank you to everyone who has very kindly donated to the Wainfleet Flood Appeal. Funds are already being distributed to those affected.

We are also hugely grateful to everyone who has donated items for those affected by the floods. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to deal with physical donations.

We would encourage all those who wish to donate to either redistribute their items to local charitable causes or donate directly to the Wainfleet Flood Appeal.

The official Wainfleet (and area) Flood Appeal Fund has been established by the Lincolnshire Community Foundation, a registered charity.  If you wish to donate to the Fund, which will be used to support those affected by the flooding, you can do so here.

If you have been flooded and wish to apply for some funding, you can do so here.


The Lincolnshire Community Foundation is working in partnership with the Recovery Coordinating Group to raise funds and support those affected by the flooding in Wainfleet and the surrounding area. Money donated to this Appeal will be applied to: relieve hardship; help address repairs and make good loss or damage; undertake preventative measures to mitigate future loss or damage; improve buildings, goods and services to help improve rescue or assistance in the event of a reoccurrence.

Financial support as part of Phase 2 of the flood appeal grant funding is now available and amounts of up to £1,000 to support families and individuals facing hardship can be applied for.   For more information, please contact Sue Fortune on 01529 305825 or 07908208838.


What's the difference between a 'Loss Adjustor' and 'Loss Assessor'?

  • A Loss Adjustor is someone who is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim.
  • A Loss Assessor is someone appointed by a policyholder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers

Here are two documents that provide advice about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood.

Icon for pdf ABI - Repair after a Flood [1.9MB]

Icon for pdf ABI - Responding to Major Floods [2.98MB]

Message from Anglian Water

For those customers affected by the flooding in Wainfleet who are unable to return to their homes, we have committed to reduce their water bills for six months.

For those customers who were evacuated but have since returned to their properties, their accounts will be on hold until 1st August 2019 to help them through this stressful time.

For further information customers can contact the Anglian Water Customer Contact Centre on: 03457 919 155

Council Tax

If your property has suffered flooding and is uninhabitable, we'd ask you to please make contact with us at the earliest opportunity in regard to Council Tax.  

Please call us on 01507 601111.

Message from Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

We appreciate that you have been through a difficult time and may be feeling overwhelmed, stressed or worried. If you think you need help, you can:

  • Contact your GP who will assess your needs and refer you to relevant services
  • Self-refer online via steps2change talking therapies team  for common mental health problems such as depression and anxiety
  • Telephone 0303 123 4000 (LPFT Single Point of Access) or
  • Email lincs.spa@nhs.net

Please find further information on LPFT's website www.lpft.nhs.uk/our-services.

Message from Public Health England

  • As you return to your property, our advice is not to use petrol or diesel generators indoors. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, which can kill.
  • You should avoid contact with floodwater and take care if you must go into flood water by following our advice about how to clean up your home safely.
  • If you develop symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting or respiratory illness, you should call 111 in the first instance.

Helpful links:

Flood Warnings

Met Office Flooding Advice

Public Health England and Environment Agency Flooding Advice

For the latest news and advice, please check our Facebook and Twitter and Lincolnshire Police.


We have put together some details of support and advice that you might find useful following the recent flooding. We realise this is a difficult time for businesses and we want to ensure you have access to the support you need.
We are keen to keep those people affected by flooding up to date with regard to the advice and support available to them.