Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments can provide extra money to meet your housing costs.

What is a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Discretionary Housing Payments can provide extra money to help you meet your housing costs.

If you are eligible, we will look at your circumstances to decide whether to give you award you a payment. How much you will get and for how long you will receive the payment for will vary.

Discretionary Housing Payment can help people who are struggling with housing costs as a result of the following welfare reforms:

  • Benefit Cap
  • Spare Room Subsidy
  • Local Housing Allowance
  • Universal Credit

Payments are short term. We will need to know that you are looking for help to manage your money and prioritise rent.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Anyone who needs financial help with housing costs and is currently claiming either:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit that includes an award for housing costs

You cannot get a Discretionary Housing Payment to help pay council tax.

We have a Council Tax Support scheme which you may be eligible for.

What can a Discretionary Housing Payment be used for?

You may be given a payment to cover housing costs such as:

  • a rent shortfall due to welfare reform
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home
  • removal costs to move to a cheaper property

How do I make a claim?

Discretionary Housing Payments can be applied for directly from us.

Download the form or request one from our customer service team.